Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card


Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card is a sequel/parallel novel to the authors first book, Ender's Game. These two books have share many events, except that the events are viewed from the eyes of two different characters. Ender's Game focuses on Ender, the best commander in the school, while Ender's Shadow focuses on Bean, who is extremely intelligent because he is genetically altered. I find this very interesting because you get to understand everything better and also because you can know the "truth" of some events.

I am not sure which novel I liked better. They are both captivating, and were both exciting enough that I spent hours in one day just to finish reading them. However, I like Bean more than Ender. I  really admire him for his intelligence, logic, and for the fact that he is extremely practical. Not that Ender isn't, just that Bean's solutions often appeal to me more.

It must be cool to be as smart as Bean. I wish I could think like the way he could. Almost all of his decisions are backed up by logic and thorough calculations of profit and loss, and he is also such a great learner that he absorbs knowledge like a sponge. He's almost like a robot, except that he has emotions and is more versatile.

Reading this book has given me a new way of approaching things, as Bean is a very special type of character that I have not encountered in any other book that I have read. I hope that other books in this series will continue to give me such novel ways of looking at the world.