Sunday, April 24, 2011

Guilt

Guilt is the feeling that you have done something wrong or that you have failed to fulfil an obligation, and it is generally considered as something unpleasant.

However, sometimes guilt is actually good! For example, just then my sister drew a greeting card that we were supposed to make together for a neighbour. Since I was also supposed to take part in the drawing, I felt guilty, and as a result I didn't dare waste any time during the time that she was completing the card. This short twenty minutes was perhaps the most efficient time during today as I typed nearly half of my careers report.

Perhaps guilt provides us an incentive to work hard, or rather, a disincentive not to work hard. Therefore guilt should not always be regarded as something that's painful and bad to have.