Sunday, May 1, 2011

Answer Key to Opinion-Based Questions

I really couldn't think of an appropriate title for this post, so I'll start this post by apologizing for that.

Anyway, today I was doing a career assignment for which you have to interview your parents and learn about how the society has changed since the time when they were teenagers. You have to describe all these changes , plus answering some questions such as "What did you learn by doing this project, particularly as it relates to the Career Studies course and career planning?"

This really ticks me off. Haven't the people who made this assignment ever thought about the possibility that students might not learn anything from this assignment at all? Yes, I know you are supposed to talk about how it is important to be aware of the changes in society and blah blah blah, but I seriously doubt that anyone who puts this as their answer would actually believe in what they are writing. I mean, this is almost like common sense! Yet if you are honest and actually write something like "I have learned nothing at all," you will probably receive a very low mark. 

School has created an environment in which you must be dishonest to achieve something high. It has created answer-sheets for even opinion-based questions, and if your answer does not match with the one on the answer-sheet, you'll probably lose some marks. Most often, the correct answer on the answer sheet is the cheesiest one and the one that no one believes in, yet it is usually the one that is written down by most students because all these students have already memorized the correct formula for writing opinion-based questions.  
---

I hope it made a bit sense to you. It's just another of my angry and rambling posts.