Monday, August 1, 2011

Looking Back at Grade 10 Civics

I don't really have a lot to say about my civics class, as I don't have much memory about it. This is partly because it was a half-credit class (so I only took it for half a semester), and partly because everything moved on quite smoothly.

Civics class was very easy. I had few assignments, and the assignments that we did have were all very easy, save for the final project. As for quizzes and tests, I only had a few, and they were all so easy that studying for fifteen minutes would be enough

This is not to suggest, however, that I learned nothing from the class. In fact, I believe that I learned much more in civics class than in careers class. In civics, I learned about the brief history of governments and democracy, the different types of government, and the various government roles in Canada. I also learned about the major political parties of Canada as well as their political platforms. In short, I learned many new things in civics class during the short period of time.

The only thing that I didn't quite like about the class was the final project. It was a project where students had to make a presentation about a charity, and its goal was to make students become more active citizens. I never liked this kind of sanctimonious stuff, and obviously I didn't like the project.

Finally, the reason why I quite liked the class was that I got a very good mark in it. Yes, even though I said that it was an easy course, I didn't do that well in the presentations (we had three of them) and was expecting a  final mark of about 94. However, to my surprise, I got a 97! To date, I still can't understand why I got such a high final mark, especially when most of my marks were between 94 and 96. Hopefully it wasn't because the teacher entered the marks wrong...

Next up: Looking Back at Grade 11 Chemistry
Or, Go back to intro and a list of all posts in my grade ten reflection series