Sunday, June 12, 2011

Pulling a Lawnmower


Lawn mowing requires quite a lot of energy, especially for a city kid like me who doesn't do a lot of exercise. However, what I find even more physically demanding is starting the lawn mower in the first place.

The lawnmower that my family has is the type which you need to pull a cord to start. Pulling it will create heat energy, and that heat energy is supposed to ignite the gasoline and make the lawnmower start. However, you need to pull the cord quite hard for there to be sufficient heat energy to ignite the gasoline. And for me, this is extremely difficult because I simply don't have enough strength.

So when my mom told me to mow the lawn today, I wasn't too happy because this may very well become an embarrassing situation. I grudgingly walked into the back yard and pulled out the lawnmower. Then, I tried very hard to pull the cord.

Once. Twice. Thrice. It didn't work. After about 10-15 tries, I still couldn't make it start, and my hand was beginning to hurt because of the shape of the handle. Just as I was going to give up, I tried it one last time. Miraculously, the engine started!

I felt so proud at that moment. It really made my day!

I hope that the next time, I will be able to do the same, except with fewer tries.