Thursday, February 16, 2012

What did he/she say?


Today as I was preparing for my economics quiz, I noticed that I had some uncertainties with opportunity costs, and soon after I asked my teacher to clarify the concept for me.

She quickly explained the whole thing to me, and everything suddenly made perfect sense; I remembered nodding eagerly just because the concept was surprisingly easy and straight-forward.

However, in the evening, just as I was about to review for the quiz again, I realized that I have completely forgotten what my teacher had said to me! Well, I would be exaggerating if I said that I forgot everything, but it wouldn't be too far from the truth; I only remembered a few particular remarks, which was a fraction of what she had said.

Then I began to recall the time in English class when I asked my English teacher to see how I could improve on my ISP journals. At the time, when he made his suggestions, everything made sense; I even thought that I have gotten so much inspirations that I would be set for my remaining three or four journals. However, as soon as I returned home, I had forgotten everything except his remark that he thought my journals didn't have any/much problems.

There was also other similar incidents with my chemistry teacher as well as my other English teacher. So I wonder, how come I just keep forgetting? Well, I am not even going try to answer the question, for the root of the problem probably too complicated for me— or for anyone— to understand. However, what I will do is to think of some possible things that I can do to prevent this kind of memory-loss again:

  • Before leaving and thanking the teacher, repeat what the teacher has said. This shall help with the memory
  • Actually write down notes of what the teacher says (no, I don't think this will be too effective; in the process of taking notes, one will be less concentrated)
  • Keep thinking about the question and the answer for at least ten minutes after the question has been answer